Monday, March 2, 2009

The death of capitalism, government style

I've been trying to figure out the best way to approach this idea. I'm just a regular guy. How can I make comments that are relevant? Who would listen to me?

I could go on about the unnecessary spending by government, the endless earmarks and pork. I could go on about how we need good jobs created. Instead I wish to ask a question. When did we allow capitalism to die in this country?

This may seem like a blinding flash of the obvious, but if there was this great need for passenger rail, why hasn't the industry thrived on it's own? Why do we need the government stepping in and supporting a transportation type that nobody (apparently) wants to use?

What gets me the most about that article though is the quote:
"Although the United States has fallen behind Europe in the development of state-of-the-art rail technology, even 50-year-old technology could get the job done, according to Ash" Umm...why would we build an entirely new system based on obsolete technology? If this guy is so knowledgeable, why would he even bring up that fact?

What it all boils down to is this whole idea is a feel good project. The whole idea that Grandma Ann can't see the grandkids without passenger rail is insane. I haven't been on a train in quite a while, but does anyone know if any of these trains will be even accessible for elderly/handicapped people? Are they now? Will they have to be?

No comments: