Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The Journey Part IV

The Journey is chronicling my thoughts and feelings as I proceed down the path of spirituality. For a detailed explanation, see The Journey Part I.

Over the last few weeks, I have been attending our church's bible study. I was a little unsure about this going in. It seemed a little odd for me to go from virtually no religion or beliefs to attending a bible study with a group of people who take their religion fairly seriously. Because my girlfriend wanted to attend the bible studies, and seeing as the study was just before the service, I had two choices. Either attend or hang around like a goof for 45 minutes. I chose to attend and see what it was like. Going in with an open mind really helped.

The study is set up so that only a few chapters are discussed at a time. In that way, they can look in depth at not only the story, but the meaning as well. That has been unbelievably helpful for me. It has been very easy for me to follow along. It would have been easier to understand if I would have been there from the start, however I can't complain. Knowing almost nothing of the bible outside of the stories everyone knows (Christmas, Adam & Eve, etc.). Any additional knowledge is a plus.

I still can't make that final jump though. There are still a lot of things I can't comprehend. I don't know how I'm supposed to change my life (if at all), what am I supposed to do, what am I supposed to say. I do know that it doesn't matter what your past was like, but I still don't know how to change. Do I really want to change? Can I change?

However this turns out, I cannot thank the folks at the church enough. They have been totally unjudgemental towards us. They have welcomed us with open arms. Thanks Crosswalk Church!

No comments: