Thursday, May 7, 2009

Hey, youse guys, where's the bubbler at?

In one of the chats I was a part of today, something was said that got me thinking. The person was not happy with their accent. That struck me a little funny. Maybe it's the amateur linguist in me but I love hearing people speak from different parts of the country. It just shows that we are not all the same.

Yes, I love to have fun with it too. I know what I sound like to folks who are not from around here. That's why whenever I travel outside of my region, I over-exaggerate it. Seeing the looks on people's faces when I say, "Hey, where's the bubbler at?" is great! The looks they give as they open their mental thesaurus is great fun!

The more I thought about it though, the more I was bothered by it. With the amount of feel good, one size fits all legislation that has either passed or is being proposed, why are we not standing up more and saying no?

In a country as diverse as the US, what is good for me is not always going to be good for a family in South Central LA. What's good for people in Phoenix isn't good for people in Boston.

We need to embrace our individuality. Be proud of who we are and where we come from. Why are we obsessed with homogony? I don't want to sound like every one else. That's why I crack off a "don't cha know" or a "why don't cha" every once in a while. Of course, anyone who knows a little about regional speech knows exactly where I'm from now, but that's ok. Where I'm from plays a big part in my beliefs and ideals. If you are willing to embrace your ideals, you should also embrace your accent, be it Southern, Eastern, Californian, or wherever. Be proud, be loud even if some people look at you funny!

1 comment:

Wendie said...

The beauty of America is that we can all be different but still share the same ideals. Well at least we used to share the same ideals. You're right that one size doesn't fit all. That's why it's so important for the states to reassert their rights under the 10th Amendment. BTW, I didn't know what a "bubbla" was until I moved to New England.