Friday, July 3, 2009

Pointless rant #1122

After spending a significant time at Summerfest this year, there are a few things I have noticed. While 90% of the people attending these festivals you would consider mainstream, it's the other 10% that just doesn't seem to get it. A few thoughts I had after last night's show:

Unless you are under 25 in good shape or over 25 in great shape, you should not wear Spandex! 50 year old fat guys should not wear spandex bicycle outfits!

Has anyone ever seen a young biker guy? Those guys who's entire attire is either leather or Harley-Davidson gear. I swear the average age of these guys (and gals) is 55.

It never fails that anytime you have a summer festival, you get the leather trench coat guy. Last night was no exception. The trench coat guy rounded out the ensemble with a pair of jeans and sandals.

Unfortunately, the weather has been cool and cloudy for a good chunk of the 'Fest so tattoo watching was kept to a minimum. However, the goofiest tattoo award goes to the guy with the Leonardo Da Vinci Vitruvian Man tattooed on his calf.

I'm convinced that white guys are probably the lamest group on the planet. it is made 1,000 times worse when they try to emulate other cultures. The chunky white guy in the Rastafarian hat and dreadlocks down to his rear wins the "lame and I don't care" award.

A lot of people put a lot of thought into what they wear and how they look before heading out to public events. There are a few folks who appear to have put just a bit too much thought into it. It would never occur to me to have my purple shoes match my purple hair...

I'll admit that I made my job a bit easier when I was researching this post by hanging out around the Harley-Davidson Roadhouse stage. However, all examples used were observed by me.

Yes, we all have our little flaws and lapses in judgement. That's what makes us all unique. It's the more obvious ones that are a source of fascination for me. What makes one person want to appear so far outside of the mainstream? What makes an adult stop at the kids face painting booth and gets their entire face painted like a tiger?

I know what some of you are thinking. What gives me the right to pick on these people? They did. You have the right (under most circumstances) to appear however you like. However, if you choose to go out way outside the norm, you are opening yourself up for criticism. If you can't handle or ignore criticism, do not make poor decisions on your appearance.

No comments: