Wednesday, August 26, 2009

If it wasn't for bad luck...

For those that know me, you know I'm a weather geek. There's nothing I enjoy more than a big outbreak of severe weather. That's what makes this season so depressing. For the first time in years, I attended a spotter training class back in March. I knew a lot of what to look for, but I wanted to update what I knew and add to my knowledge base. I also went out and purchased a wind meter because my wind estimation was always my weakest point. So how have I been rewarded for my time and money? One of the calmest severe weather seasons in Wisconsin since they started tracking severe weather outbreaks in 1981. only 13 weak (EF0 & EF1) tornadoes statewide, 7th fewest overall. Only 1995 (7), 1990 (9), 1991 and 1999 (10 each), 2001 and 2006 (12 each) have had fewer tornadoes statewide. The Green Bay WSO set a record by not issuing any severe weather warnings for the entire month of June which is traditionally the peak of severe weather in Wisconsin.

I suppose that it can be considered a good thing. Severe weather causes so many problems, from injuries to deaths to massive crop losses, that a calm year should be a good thing. I guess I'm a little selfish. I love severe weather. I want severe weather.

Oh well, I guess there's always next year. I'm used to saying that. I am a Cubs fan.

No comments: