Wednesday, December 23, 2009

The Journey Part VIII

The Journey is chronicling my thoughts and feelings as I proceed down the path of spirituality. For a detailed explanation, see The Journey Part I

As we go through the second most holy period of the Christian faith, I am forced to reassess myself. I have been trying to develop some semblance of religion and spirituality over the past several months. If you have read my blog for a while, you will have seen that in the other posts in this series. The Christmas season will probably be my sticking point for the foreseeable future. The reason for this is the fact that the season has very rarely been good to me. Stress, discord, and anger have all been present during most of the Christmases that I can remember. So, I rarely look forward to the season. This year will be just as bad. I'm uninviting myself (for now, that could change) from a Christmas Eve gathering due to stress that will be present. A stress I know very well, almost too well. Add that to the lovely Wisconsin weather we are expecting on Christmas Day which will make our 6+ hours of round trip driving that much more interesting, well, I'm not too excited about the next few days.

Add the fact that everyone seems to take the opportunity to spew hypocritical rants about what the season has become and there seems to be very little to like about this time of year anymore. Political correctness has crapped over everything to the point that you can't walk down the street and wish someone a merry Christmas without the other person taking offense. 31% of the world and 78.4% of the US identify themselves as Christians. What is so offensive about trying to be friendly and wishing someone a merry Christmas?

I guess it's the whole majority/minority dichotomy. No matter what those in the majority do, they will always be attacked by those in the minority. Of course, that is a one way street. The majority cannot complain about the minority. Still, why can't we put these feelings aside during a time that is universally recognized as a time of peace, joy, and forgiveness?

Yea, I know the season makes me more than a little cynical, and I am working on that. It's a slow process. I'm old and forgetful. If I do learn something, I forget it pretty quickly!

Pardon the epiphany here, but I think that the above might be at least part of the problem I am having with religion. I'm white, male, politically conservative, and 32. I am already part of a group that, in this society, has no right to complain about anything. Becoming Christian may just make me even more intolerant in the eyes of the more "progressive" folks out there. Now, I do know that is not a good reason to not become religious. It is, however, one of the mental blocks that is in my way. Not the biggest, but even the smallest of blocks can cause you to fall down. If that particular block causes me to fall down, I'm not sure how easy it will be to get back up.

There is no greater meaning to this post. The posts in this series rarely go beyond my feelings. However, all I ask is for people to try to drop their prejudices for at least a few days. If you want to encase yourself in your shell, please wait until Boxing Day!

No comments: