Saturday, April 24, 2010

Mixed feelings

If you've followed the blog for a while or know me, I'm a weather geek. I love severe storms. There is nothing I like more than a severe weather outbreak. That being said, as I sit here watching live coverage from ABC 33/40 from Birmingham, Alabama, and knowing what is in store for those folks, I wish that it wasn't happening.

It's still very early, but by the time it's all said and done, this will probably go down as one of the worst tornado outbreaks in the deep south in many, many years. If nobody is seriously injured or killed, it will be a major miracle. What is making this worse is the fact that this weekend is the NASCAR race in Talladega. Every weekend, many people camp out at the tracks for these races. Emergency shelters have been opened by Talladega County emergency managers, but I am unsure whether they have enough room for everyone.

As a student of history and weather history, this will be a day for the record books. I just wish that it wouldn't be happening to an area of the country that is historically poorer than the rest of the nation. If you are a religious person, please keep the deep south in your prayers today...

No comments: