Sunday, April 18, 2010

A part of every Georger has died...

Earlier this week, my daughter brought home one of these. I will admit that, only mostly joking, I looked for little, tiny shreds of serial numbers and EMS marks.

Although I understand the recycling movement (despite opposing most of it), do we really need to turn everything into something else? What really concerns me is that, contrary to public opinion and the generic reference, our money is not paper. It is a unique blend of fibers making it closer to linen than paper. Do we really need counterfeiters being able to figure out what that blend is and make ultra high quality counterfeit notes?

The real issue I have with these pencils is the vast amount of EMS'ed bills that could be in there! I know that notes do wear down over time. With this new product, however, I have to wonder how many notes that just a few years ago would have been sent back out are now ending up in these pencils. Are the days of 6, 7, 8, and 9 hitters over? Are the days of the long soak sleepers over? The mind reels.

So, what are we Georgers to do? Short of a mass raid of the Fed by legions of people with Palette ink stained fingers hell bent on liberating all the bills, I'm not sure there's anything we can do. Damn you Al Gore and your Global Warming recycling nonsense! I WANT HITS!!!

No comments: