Saturday, April 10, 2010

The quest for a better dining experience

Before I start, I have to say that none of the following is a paid advertisement. Why would anyone pay for me to say anything? :)

I'm a foodie. I can't help it. I enjoy food way too much. Unfortunately, one of my weaknesses is for authentic, ethnic food. Being an American makes this very difficult. Everything has been "Americanized". While that is OK if you understand that this has never, nor will never, show up on the table of a real Mexican family, but if you are looking for food that is eaten by people in those other countries, your choices are few and far between.

The same can be said for any fast food. That is why I was so pleasantly surprised yesterday evening. I don't get to eat out much, but when I do, it usually has to be fairly kid friendly. If the kids won't eat, what's the point? Last night, however, I was in an unusual position. I only had to feed myself. I was finally able to satisfy my curiosity and get myself some Qdoba. I have to say, they are probably the perfect marriage of fast and authentic that you probably will get. Their Ancho Chile BBQ Burrito is amazing. Proper rice, black beans, and the chicken properly seasoned. It has plenty of spice, but without sacrificing the flavor. It's not hot for the sake of being hot. The heat comes from the flavor. Come hungry though. Not since the Appleton La Bamba have I had one burrito that made a meal for me.

I'm afraid I'm hooked. Solid, real Mexican cuisine fast? Put a Qdoba on one side of my home and a Round Table on the other, and I would never cook again! (OK, maybe not...I love to cook too much!)

No comments: