Saturday, April 17, 2010

Why can't we all be 7 years old?

I took my kids to Frame Park in Waukesha earlier today. Aside from the fact that I'm still amazed at how different my kids are (daughter is a major social butterfly and my son will be content with imaginary play by himself for hours), what really gets me every time on how quickly my daughter makes friends where ever we go. The truly fascinating part is how socially blind she is. She will play and make 'friends' (friends we may never see again) with girls, boys, black, white, brown, yellow, green, blue...whatever. I would like to take some credit for that, but I know that the greatest part of it is she doesn't care. If they are nice, she likes them. If they are mean, she doesn't.

When and where did we lose that? I know I am not perfect, but there are others who see nothing but the outside. Why? Why can't we all go back to the attitude that my 7 year old has? Where did the distrust of anything different supersede all other attitudes?

I am by no means a bleeding heart liberal, but I think we all can agree that judging someone based solely on the color of their skin and not the content of their character is the way to enlightenment. Not everyone will agree about theology, political views, personal beliefs of all types, and social statuses, but can't we finally get passed skin color? It's so arbitrary.

No comments: