Saturday, May 15, 2010

The "I don't know what to write" post

Yea, you read that right. This is going to be the blog equivalent of a Seinfeld episode. There's really not that much to talk about...Sharks don't start until tomorrow...Cubs are being the Cubs...The big political stuff won't start for a few weeks yet...So what to do?

There is a lot going on internationally, but I really can't get too excited about it. Most of it is too depressing. Everyone knows about Obama pissing off the Israelis, so there's not much more I can say. The fact that the Japanese are getting more than a little upset about our military bases on Okinawa is a little disturbing. Granted, the base is over 1,500km from Tokyo, but I've always felt that our bases in that part of the world has kept the peace. China back in the day and North Korea currently have to take our presence in the region into account if they want to move against South Korea or Japan. Moving the bases out could be just the opening needed for things to get a little frisky.

Thailand has been an interesting situation and one that I admit I haven't followed as closely as I should. Martial law is about to be declared, a rebel general was shot and killed while talking to a reporter, and now the US is advising against travel and has closed the embassy in Bangkok. I half expect a civil war in the next few weeks.

The European economy is about to completely collapse. Greece is about to go bankrupt. What makes that worse is that the entitlement mentality that the workers have is not allowing anyone to make it better. Granted, the government isn't completely blameless. When you have an entire country that basically produces nothing (tourism and shipping are the biggest industries), it's really hard to stimulate the economy in tough times. Thanks to the close quarters that the European countries share and the other countries that are teetering on the brink, if Greece can't get the economy stabilized, Portugal will quickly follow suit and that could cause a cascade failure throughout Europe.

I know I should care more about this, but I don't. Yes, a economic collapse in Europe will send major ripples around the globe, but it's really hard for me to care about them when I cannot support myself right now.

Civil unrest in Africa and central Asia, economic issues worldwide, our usually crappy weather returns...Nothing really getting me motivated. Maybe the people who believe that the end of days is coming (or already here) have a point. Oh well...either way, it will get worse before it gets better I guess. Can we survive it?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Джон рескин интеллигенция это слой который предохраняет от хамства
!!!