Sunday, June 6, 2010

The Underground Conservative Part I

Oy Vey...

I never thought that I would be here. Don't get me wrong, Milwaukee is a great city to visit, I just never thought that I would be living here. A conservative stuck in the middle of Gwen Moore's 4th congressional district is not really a safe place. Still, I think that I will try to make the best of it.

A part of me wants to wear my conservatism on my sleeve. A sort of, 'You can't browbeat me into silence' statement. The rest of me says that perhaps the underground method might just let me get out of this town in one piece. So, in a decision that leans towards survival, I have decided to explore Milwaukee as a conservative in hiding.

Cowardly? Perhaps. It is a bit easier to let people be lulled by their assumptions though. If directly asked, I will not lie. Until then though, I will go about my day letting people think what they may.

It's too bad that the governmental meetings cause a conflict with my current work schedule. It would be very interesting to attend a county board meeting or a city council meeting. Until I started working evenings, I was a regular attendee of the village board meetings in Sussex. I really missed those meetings. I know I wrote about it at the time, but it was so odd that I had several members of the village of Sussex government ask me why I was there. They weren't trying to be mean, it was just so odd for them to see someone attend that didn't have a reason to (getting an award, presenting info to the board, etc.) that they wanted to know why.

Well, I guess we'll see where this takes me. Stay tuned fellow travelers!

No comments: