Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The Underground Conservative Part V

We all know that sex sells. We see it every day. Every consumer product out there has used sexuality at some point to sell itself. What confuses me is why don't political campaigns do the same?

I've been debating with myself ever since about whether I would share any/all the details of my journey into the absurd that occurred last Friday night/Saturday morning. On one hand, there are many details of my life, past and present, that I will never be sharing online. That's just the way I am. Still, what happened to me borders so much on the insane/absurd/bizarre that it is hard not to talk about it. I've gone over a few details with a good friend (mostly to confirm my own thoughts), but for the most part I've been silent because I still have not fully come to terms with what went on and how I reacted.

However, when the above thought came to me earlier today, I had a bit of an epiphany. Perhaps it is now time to share a bit of my night.

As a part of the unusual night, I met several new people. One of which just happened to be a very attractive young woman. We had a good time just talking for well over an hour. Somehow, the conversation turned to politics. That's when I discovered that she was a rather extreme liberal. Now, normally under these circumstances, I would have had a good game of Tweak The Liberal and call it a night. After all, I had just met her in the most random way and unless the gods of chance have a sense of humor like mine, we would never see each other again. However, this time was a bit different. For whatever reason (Yes all you dirty minded people...That's probably why!) I found myself either being vague about my beliefs or flat out concealing them just to continue talking to her.

Which brings me back to the original point. I do believe that I would be strong enough to avoid the "vote for my guy and I'll sleep with you" invitation, but we all know that there are an awful lot of people who don't vote on a regular basis that would, given the right enticement, go along with those terms. So why don't we hear more about it? I'm sure that if it IS going on that the media in this country would jump all over it. So if it isn't going on, why not? Bribery has always been a part of politics in one shape or another. This would just be another form of bribery with the added bonus that the politician in question could have total deniability.

Maybe politicians hold themselves to a bit of a higher standard. As hard as that is to believe when you look at all the attack ads that are out there now, maybe it is true. Honestly, I think the only reason that they don't do it is that they haven't found a way to get their followers to do it and still keep that deniability...

2 comments:

Mike said...

Well, if someone offered you sex for your vote, how would the deal be kept if you conduct your voting in private? How can the attempted briber know the other person is living up to their end of the deal?

TJSharky said...

With the ease of absentee and mail voting, it's easier than you think. Fill out the ballot, drop it in the mail, then on to business.

That's a whole different issue. In an attempt to get as may people involved in the process by making it so easy to vote on your terms, it has made all sorts of voter fraud that much easier.