Saturday, November 20, 2010

A greater mission?

For those of you that follow my inane ramblings on Facebook, you might have noticed some rather unusual posts the last few days. Now, I can imagine that most of you thought that I sustained a sharp blow to the head, finally made the transition from normal crazy to foaming at the mouth insane, or, more likely, both. No my dear friends, I have retained the tenuous grasp on both sanity and reality that I always had.
I stumbled upon a very interesting site a few nights ago. It had the Hail Mary translated into many different languages. The first post was me being fascinated with languages and, honestly, trying to buy a little karma (yes, I know the idea of trying to acquire a tenet of Sikhism/Hinduism with a Christian prayer is a little counter-productive, but just go with me here). However, after I posted the first one my mind, as it does from time to time, took the idea and ran off with it for a while. What it came back with really got me thinking.

As we all know, there are many places where Christianity is not welcomed at all. Still, there are always missionaries that are going to these places to spread The Word. In many of these places, they are literally putting their lives on the line. Uttering those words in those languages could easily be a death sentence. That has always amazed me about people who were totally devoted to their faith. The fact that they would willingly put their lives on the line for an idea.

People like Paul Hypki from Crosswalk Church in Waukesha. Granted, he wasn't putting his life on the line when he was going to Tajikistan, but the government really didn't want him there. At one point, if he was caught, he would have been lucky to just be deported (the restrictions have since been eased). That still didn't keep him from going over and guiding a small group of Christians in the small, poor, former Soviet republic.

So, as a very small tribute, I would like to share a few of my favorites. For the less known languages, I will provide a short explanation.

Ave, Maria, yu pulap long grasia. Lord, i stap long yu. Ol i onaim yu moa long ol meri, na ol i onaim Jisas, Em Pikinini bilong bel bilong yu. Santu Maria, Mama bilong God, pre bilong helpim mipela manmeri bilong sin, nau na long taim milpela i dai. Amen. - Tok Pisin

Tok Pisin is a Creole/English hybrid that is spoken in Papua New Guinea. Although the government of Papua New Guinea has a freedom of speech law similar to ours, there are literally thousands of different cultural/ethnic groups in the country. Many of them can be hostile to those who are different, especially once you get outside Port Morseby.

Ave Maria, nopunu' do graasia, miampai diau O kinoingan, obitua ko do id saviavi' tondu, om obitua o tuva' tinan nu Jesus. Sangti Maria, tina' do Kinoingan Pokiinsianai zikoh tu' tuhun do momimiduso; baino om ontok jaam do kapatazon za. Amin. - Kadazan

Kadazan is a language spoken in an area of Malaysia on the island of Borneo. Again, the Malaysian constitution insures freedom of religion, however, over 60% of the country is Muslim and Shariah law is upheld in their court system. Also, ethnic Malays are constitutionally considered Muslim.

聖母經

萬福瑪麗亞,你充滿聖寵!主與你同在。你在婦女中受贊頌,你的親子耶穌同受贊頌。

天主聖母瑪麗亞,求你現在和我們臨終時,為我們罪人祈求天主。阿門。- Chinese




Arabic

I really don't have a greater point or moral for all of this. It's just food for thought. I'm not really out to shift any personal paradigms. Take from this whatever you will.

No comments: