Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Kill all the babies you want, just put down the Big Mac!

As I look around at all the laws that have been passed to force us to change our behaviors, the ones that really frost my knickers are the ones that are "for our own good."

It's not just San Francisco and their idiotic new law banning happy meal toys...It's all the laws that put us in the middle of the Demolition Man world. If some morally righteous zealot deems something to be even slightly bad, they will get some politician to pass a ban against it. Even if it's a legal product, they will do everything they can to prevent you from using it (am I right smokers?). If I am to believe the teachings I got while I was searching for religion, we were given the gift of free will. Why are our "leaders" doing everything they can to take that away?

You have to wonder though...Why is it that they are so intent on legislating all sorts of behaviors that are bad for us, but they still allow abortion? When you boil it down, it is all about life. These laws are supposed to save our lives. So why not preserve life by passing a law against the behavior that directly leads to taking a life? Why is free will good in this case and not in any others? If you ask a pro abortion person, their first argument is always, "We must protect a woman's right to choose!" Well, what about my right to choose to stuff my face with never ending plates of poutine? What about a parent's right to choose whether to get the Happy Meal for their kid or not?

Our society has truly begun it's decent. We can't keep the worst among us (murderers, rapists, child molesters) behind bars, but we can pass laws telling us what to eat, what to drink, what to wear, and even what kinds of products to buy (bye bye incandescent light bulbs). Has it really come to this? No, I'm not advocating anarchy, but come on, if I want to sit in a greasy spoon diner and have a jumbo rack of ribs with a side of chili fries, why should the government feel the need to try to stop me?

No comments: