Tuesday, November 30, 2010

TSA T&A

I joked about this earlier on Facebook, but, as my mind often does, it's been chewing on it all night and an interesting thought came up...

As I mentioned semi-jokingly today, if you are fed up with the TSA's patdowns, all you need to do is fly naked. At first blush, it would seem likely that you would be arrested for indecent exposure, the story would make the rounds for a day or so and that would be it.

However, there could be a but at the end of that sentence. The TSA is a government agency. If done properly, presenting yourself to the TSA screeners in your birthday suit could be taken as a protest. In that case, which wins. Your First Amendment rights or indecency laws? What a sticky wicket that would create.

I'm not going to go into a long editorial about the current security issues. Many others who feel stronger about it have said a lot more than I could. I prefer to look at things from unusual perspectives. You can't have it both ways kiddos. You either have high security or you have more attacks. It's just that simple. This is the most unconventional war (and yes, it is a war) that we have ever fought. We are constantly on defence because as soon as something works, our enemies change tactics. They change because they know our playbook. They know that one chance is all they get before they have to think again.

We've gotten so used to our freedoms that as soon as someone wants to curb them, even if it's to protect us, the cries go out. We are so concerned about offending people as well. We know damn well who is doing a vast majority of these attacks. Muslims, of middle-eastern decent, male, aged 18-30. The minute we say that all people fitting into that group is going to get extra attention, the liberals start screaming 'racist!'.

I'm going to leave it there, because that's not where I want this to go. Back on topic. Now, the thing is, who to get to do this? I think I'm a bit too self-conscious to do it. Of course, if I was 6'4", toned, tanned, and hung like an Arabian, it would make it a bit easier! It's a difficult choice. It can't be a celebrity...people will think it's nothing more than a publicity stunt. It can't be a person that's too hot either, for the same reason. Best bet is a moderately attractive C-list star. Get to it folks! I want to see that protest!

No comments: