Saturday, December 11, 2010

Googling away knowledge?

Over the past few months, there have been times where I thought it would be fun to have a bit of a trivia contest either here or on my Facebook page. After about 10 seconds thought, I realized how silly that sounded. With the ease of finding information online, any contest is only as good as the fastest Googler.

That got me thinking. Are we losing the desire for knowledge? With the ease of web searches at any time thanks to PDA's, cell phones, and netbooks, what motivation does the average person have to actually learn things? Am I the only one left that enjoys reading information and learning it so I don't have to Google everything?

I heard a story on my way home from work the other night that said teachers, despite the negative affects that it has, have had to introduce more electronic media into the classroom so their students pay attention at least part of the time. Now, I'm not a technofear person, but perhaps the reason that we seem to be getting less and less out of our students lately is the fact that they don't feel the need to learn anymore. If the 'typing' I see online is any indication, that attitude is getting more and more widespread.

Yes, we need to embrace the future. So much good has come from technology over the past 25 years, but if we don't remember what got us here, how can we continue to move forward?

No comments: