Friday, December 3, 2010

This Old Cub

OK, fist things first. This is probably the worst thing to do considering the news is less than a half an hour old as I write, but if I don't get it down now, I don't think I will be able to.

WGN is now reporting that legendary Cubs player and announcer Ron Santo has died at the age of 70.

It will come as no great surprise that I am a Cubs fan. I have been as long as I can remember. I am a proud member of the WGN generation, growing up with a summer of 140 games televised on the network. When I got older and found myself away from the TV more frequently, I turned to the radio to get my Cubs fix.

I never got the chance to see Ron play. He retired a few years before I was born. My love for Ronnie developed over the years as I listened to the games on WGN radio. I'm sure there are a lot of people that feel that he wasn't a great color guy, but to those of us who were fans he was the perfect color guy. He was as much a fan of the team as we are. I know I don't speak just for myself when I say that we often didn't hear Ron's cries of despair because they were drowned out by our own. Often, you didn't need the play-by-play. Ron's emotions told us all exactly what happened.

There's no more deserving player who is not in that Hall that deserves to be there. I'm not going to go into this now. It's not the place or the time. All I'm going to say is that it's way past time. Let's get it done now.

I can't go on anymore...I'm still too shocked. Rest assured I will say more later and it will be more of fitting tribute. I'm not real religious, but if everything the Christians have been telling me is true, God is now blessed with the best baseball announce team. Rest well dear Ronnie....

No comments: